Summer, Fall and Spring Internships
Our internships are designed to give participants experience in the production process and also a general understanding of how a professional theater company functions. Each intern is assigned to a specific "track" to give practical experience in their personal area of focus. All interns also attend a weekly Lab, tailored to the interests of the group, which can include lectures and Master Classes with esteemed EST members and which culminates in a showcase, developed and produced by the interns as an ensemble company.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter detailing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line put which internship you are interested in.
DEVELOPMENT/SPECIAL EVENTS INTERN
Want to learn how an off-off-Broadway, not-for profit theatre is sustained? This is the position for you! Work directly with the Development Manager and Executive Director on raising funds for new plays. Regular duties will include: preparing materials for grant proposals, working on special events, processing donations and researching potential new funders. We are looking for someone with strong organizational skills, excellent communication skills, an eye for detail and a real desire to learn.
- Process donations in OvationTix database
- Assist with planning and execution of special events, including a block party, bowl-a-thon, donor receptions, opening nights, etc.
- Assemble relevant materials for grant proposals
- Research potential new foundation and individual funders
- Draft correspondence to donors
- Collaborate with Marketing department on a regular basis
- Participate in roundtables with EST staff, artists, and interns
- Fundraising interest or experience preferred
- Database/CRM experience preferred
- Quick ability to learn new tasks and skills
- Very outgoing and personable; great sense of humor
- Adaptable, with ability to multi-task
Commitment: 20 hours/week; ~January 23 to June 10, 2017 (20 weeks)
Paid: Weekly Stipend, $200/wk
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Aaron Hock, Development Manager, at email@example.com by Monday, January 16th.
Opportunity for an enthusiastic creative self-starter to gain skills and experience, and learn at one of the nation’s leading developmental and producing theatre companies.
The Ensemble Studio Theatre is committed to the discovery and nurturing of new voices and the continued support and growth of artists throughout their creative lives. Through our unique collaborative process we develop and produce original, provocative, and authentic new plays that engage and challenge our audience and audiences across the country.
- Working directly with the Director of Marketing and Creative Director, as well as the rest of the Artistic and Administrative Staff at EST
- Implementing a season-long social media strategy, including daily interactions across platforms as well as helping to develop new strategies
- Assisting with strategic partnerships
- Helping with marketing exchanges
- Managing the EST Blog
- Includes in-office hours of about 20 hours a week
- Knowledge of InDesign, MS Office Suite, Google Office Suite, customer database programs (OvationTix)
- Understanding of a variety of social media platforms
- Internet research tactics is a plus.
- Interest in arts marketing and prior experience in the arts are preferred.
EST is a past participant in the Theatre Communications Group Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Institute and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Email resume and cover letter, enclosed not attached, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Work with the Producer, Designers, Technical Directors, Production Managers and Stage Management on EST readings, workshops and productions. Includes setting-up and maintaining rehearsals and production spaces, building and organizing props, and assisting during tech. Experience with lighting, sound and/or carpentry is recommended. Evening availability and an interest in serving on running crew are essential to this track. There are no openings for technical interns until Fall 2016.
Work with the General Manager, Executive Director and EST Staff to manage the EST readings, workshops and productions. Work directly on the productions and interact with artists involved. Responsibilities include aiding in drafting artist contracts, working with box office, light filing. Good with numbers a plus. There are no openings for management interns until Fall 2016.
Work with the literary manager and literary associate and help with the countless submissions EST receives each season. Responsibilities include maintaining literary databases, correspondence with playwrights, correspondence with volunteer readers, and of course reading and evaluating script submissions. Depending on the season, the focus will either be on the One-Act Marathon submissions or the Sloan Project submissions. Strong writing skills are essential. This internship would be ideal for those interested in playwriting or dramaturgy and those looking to hone their critical skills. There are no openings for literary interns until Fall 2016.